Hi, my name is Carmen Southam and I have been working in the human services field for 18 years. My first venture into this field saw me working with homeless youth in a counseling and mentoring role. Since then I have traveled Australia working as a psychologist assisting men, women and children to manage their emotional and mental well-being more effectively.
Traveling and working with people in rural and remote areas has given me a great appreciation for the human spirit, the resilience and self reliance that is required when working in harsh environments and often under duress.
I have been privileged to work in a number of aboriginal communities and have fond memories of yarning under the mango trees and wading through swamps to achieve my work goals. Before returning to the Sunshine Coast I had an opportunity to work with veterans and current serving personnel of our armed forces.
Now, based in Gympie I offer professional psychological treatment, counselling, hypnotherapy, EMDR, CBT, coaching and support to children, youth, couples and individuals seeking to bring change to, and enhance their lives.
My approach to work is strength based, solution focused, caring and sensitive to individual needs. I like to use expressive therapies including art, sand play and symbol work …
Some examples of art and sandtrays – with permission of the client
… as well as the more traditional approaches of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Trauma Model Therapy, Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. I train individuals in the use of mindfulness strategies, relaxation and visualization techniques.
I am dedicated to my work and aim to offer the highest possible standard of service in a confidential, empathic and respectful environment.
- Bachelor of Psychology with Honours – Central Queensland University
- Diploma of Applied Science, Community and Human services – Cooloola Institute of TAFE.
- Clinical Hypnotherapy – Michael Yapko Ph.D.
- EMDR Level 2 – EMDR Training – Australia and New Zealand with Sigmund Burzynski
- Certificate in Trauma Model Therapy – The Colin A. Ross Institute for Psychological Trauma.
- Psychological Responses to Disasters – Prof Bob Montgomery
- Responding to trauma and enabling contribution – Dulwich Centre/ Narrative Therapy
- Couples Counselling – Gottmann Institute (ongoing)
- Expressive therapies with troubled and traumatized young clients– Expressive Therapies Institute of Australia.
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy – Russ Harris
- Psychological Assessment for Aboriginal Clients – Indigenous Psychological Services – Tracy Westerman
- Certificate in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy – Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Australia
- Primary Certificate in Rational Emotive Therapy – Australian Institute for Rational Emotive Therapy Inc.
- Parentshop – facilitator
- Sandplay and Symbol Work – Expressive Therapies Institute of Australia
- Stress Inoculation Workshop – Bush Crisis Line Support services
- Cannabis Treatment/Adolescent Cannabis Check Up – National Cannabis prevention and information centre.