The role of psychologists
A psychologist has been trained in the field of human behaviour as a result of studying the brain, the way individuals learn, stages of humans development, memory and how people think, behave and react to life experiences.
Psychologists use scientifically developed, well researched and tested therapies to treat individuals, families and groups experiencing life and work stress, relationship problems and mental health issues including depression and anxiety.
A psychologist is different from a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who specialises in the diagnosis of mental disorders and emotional problems. A psychiatrist also prescribes and monitors medication.
A psychologist works with everyday problems that can impact your life. These problems could be issues such as work stress, relationship troubles, childhood and adult trauma histories and coping with illness. Addressing these concerns is vital to enjoying life and good relationships.
A psychologist can assist with personal development, assertiveness training, anger management, learning to relax, effective communication, assisting with grief and loss issues, parenting, personal empowerment, resilience training and reprocessing traumatic memories that are likely impacting daily life..
I provide well-being and support services for children, adolescents and adults on a wide range of issues.
- Anxiety (e.g. fears, worries, panic)
- Trauma – Adverse Life Events, Combat Trauma, childhood trauma
- Pre- & Post-Natal counselling & support
- Life satisfaction
- Stress management
- Interpersonal skills
- Grief & Loss
- School issues (e.g. friendships, bullying)
Medicare | Medicare Rebates available.
EMDR – Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing
EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) is a psychotherapy that enables people to heal from the symptoms and emotional distress that are the result of disturbing life experiences. Repeated studies show that by using EMDR therapy people can experience the benefits of psychotherapy that once took years to make a difference. It is widely assumed that severe emotional pain requires a long time to heal. EMDR therapy shows that the mind can in fact heal from psychological trauma much as the body recovers from physical trauma. When you cut your hand, your body works to close the wound. If a foreign object or repeated injury irritates the wound, it festers and causes pain. Once the block is removed, healing resumes. EMDR therapy demonstrates that a similar sequence of events occurs with mental processes. The brain’s information processing system naturally moves toward mental health. If the system is blocked or imbalanced by the impact of a disturbing event, the emotional wound festers and can cause intense suffering. Once the block is removed, healing resumes. Using the detailed protocols and procedures learned in EMDR therapy training sessions, clinicians help clients activate their natural healing processes.
For further information go to http://www.cspsych.com.au/introduction-to-eye-movement-desensitization-and-reprogramming-emdr/
Open NOW – Ten Twenty One – A Holistic Retreat http://www.cspsych.com.au/wp-admin/post.php?post=13&action=edit
Operating as IAm Foundation
A multi faceted accommodation option … a retreat with a difference!
(Link to website via Airbnb) you can view photos here but book directly through me once we discuss your treatment options/requirements).
Intense therapy – come for a week or longer. Access intensive psychological support designed to meet your specific needs.
- Suitable for individuals who don’t want to attend therapy for 1 hour per week or fortnight, for people who require a more frequent contact.
- Families where one or more members are suffering with mental health concerns (depression, anxiety, anger) who want to learn more about the condition of their loved one and are looking for strategies to support their loved one.
- Families that are struggling to get on … where the children/teens and the parents don’t see eye to eye!! Through family therapy we aim to establish better relationships, encourage each member to get to know each other again (many families feels estranged from one another) and work together as a team.
- Couples … give yourself the space to get to know each other again without the distraction of home … therapy can often provide a safe space to discuss issues that otherwise end in arguments or a shut down!
Come and stay and just relax by yourself, with family and/or friends.
- Book the whole house or just some of the bedrooms. Our fully equipped home can sleep up to 10 adults and a baby or 2!! The master bedroom has a king sized bed an ensuite and an additional room that has a fold out (double) bed and nursery. There are 2 queen bedrooms and a twin bed room. A very large lounge dining room with fireplace. The 4 metre wide deck wraps around 3 sides and overlooks the front lawn and dam. There’s a fire pit and seating out the back and soon we will have a herb and vegie patch.
Coming soon – Weekend workshop/retreat – WHO AM I – fostering personal growth and relaxation.
- You will share the accommodation or stay in town and attend during the day. Activities include art therapy, relaxation/meditation, personal growth and reflective tasks and much more!
Check out Ten Twenty One and see if you can find other reasons to come!!
- Go to Rainbow Beach or Tin Can Bay – fishing anyone?
- Explore Gympie’s history
- Go to the local Sunday Markets
- Go out for a meal or cook your own